Parents and caregivers leave children alone for “just a minute.” They don’t think anything can happen. They think that children know better than to play with matches, lighters or candles. They think because the house has a smoke detector – regardless of whether it works or not – that the family is safe.
A child left alone with matches, lighters, burning candles, cigarettes, gas heaters, stoves, fireplaces, gasoline or grills is all it takes to create a tragedy. A spark can become an inferno in seconds.
A smoke detector with good batteries and a responsible adult watching a child at all times help prevent fire-related injuries and death.
Public Service Announcements
(All links listed below open in a new window)
Get additional resources